Thursday, September 20, 2007

THE SOCIETY GIRL OF THE WEEK

As I mentioned earlier, I love looking through the streetsyle shots from New York Fashion Week. One thing I noticed was there were certain ones who were photographed by multiple streetstyle photographers. Over and over, on different sites their photos would pop up, with different background, but the same person being recognized for their individual style.

One woman, in particular, caught my eye. I soon discovered this amazing woman has a blog and on that blog I found heaps of INSPIRATION. She is the opitome of inspiration! And of course, someone this inspiring deserves to be The Society Girl of the Week. Normally I would now display a few photos of her and I will.. but I had to know more. Who she was, did she work in the fashion industry, where does she look for inspiration, and how did she find herself at New York Fashion Week..... so I sent her a little email and low and behold she wrote back. So, without further ado I present our Society Girl of the Week... Mauri..

What do I do for a living?

I work for Steven Alan as a merchandiser and sales associate. And then freelance styling and shooting lookbooks and editorials for independent designers.

What are my main inspirations...?

Old movies, characters in books. I often find whatever I'm reading at the time or have recently watched subconsciously influences me. My outfit for the day always stems from some sort of character, clearly one that I identify with and is a part of who I am. I have fun dressing up for the theater of life.

How would you describe your style?

It's very playful and bright. I like to mix classic bodies and shapes (generally clothing with structure) with more modern fabrics and prints. I love setting off really cool urban pieces by indie designers with classic vintage accessories or visa versa. High low, but not hipster.

Fashion week?

I scored entry through Coutorture Media. I'm a blogger of theirs and contributor, and they hired me on to do PA work for the shows.

Why I started my blog?

I was working full time as a professional dancer (modern not pole:)) and I just loved clothes and shopping and I needed an outlet. It was totally the case of my hobby became my job and now I need a new hobby, so what else do i love? fashion! Several of my friends are legitimate writers and well regarded bloggers, so I was hesitant at first, but decided to just go for it. I loved the anonymity and I got to dish about clothes.


Her style is so distinctive that The Sartorialist has photographed her twice.






Here are some more from her blog Fashion Weakley




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

this woman is a fantastic dresser, effortlessly chic but with interesting twists.
my, and what a busy lifestyle she has (we were all insanely jealous by the end of that first Q&A) ;]

Crystal said...

She has great style. I like the shoes she paired with the over-alls in the first picture.

Crystal said...

She has great style. I love the shoes she paired with the over-alls in the first picture.

theresa said...

wow. i love that white skirt. She looks awesome!

theresa said...

wow. I love that white skirt. She looks awesome!